Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Don't be afraid of the Healthcare bill

I was just watching the President sign the health care bill and I was watching the stock market action in the margins. What is all the fear about? Why are people afraid of change?

Over the past few weeks as I listened to my favorite stations, congressmen and commentators I sensed that there was a lot of fear and anxiety in their voices. In spite of all their protests and the protests they were covering the bill passed anyway. I started to ask myself how could something pass that it seemed everyone was against and then it hit me. Maybe I was listening to the wrong people. I stepped back to see what was happening.

I don't think there is anyone, rich or poor, Democratic or Republican that really wants someone to die or stay sick because they haven't got the financial means to purchase the services or drugs that will save their life or ease their pain. Americans are just too carrying to let that happen. Things will be different and we shouldn't fear that. But how will I change my plan?

In the past change meant innovation and opportunity. Those who can up with the new solutions usually reaped great rewards. Why should the future be any different than the past?

I'm looking forward to change. I've got to realize that some of the industries and stocks I may presently own may not adapt and change with the times. Hasn't that been the way it has always been?

Change has been forced upon us and the status quo has been upset. So what? Will I run through the streets in panic and yell: " The sky is falling, the sky is falling!" My plan for the future will be the same one I've had in the past.

I'm going to make sure my stop losses are in place on the positions that I presently own and I'm going to keep looking for the companies and people that are the innovators and are positioning themselves to take advantage of the new opportunities that will come in the future.

Don't you think you should do the same?

Jim Van Meerten is an investor who writes on financial matters here and on Financial Tides. Please leave a comment below or email JimVanMeerten@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment