Monday, June 7, 2010

Time to trim some deadwood

I have no crystal ball to tell me what the market will do. I do have a system or discipline that I use. I'm long when the market is rising and the economy is expanding. I'm short when the economy is contracting and the market is tanking. When the market and the economy are in trending in different directions -- as they are now -- I trim poorly performing positions and accumulate cash till things straighten themselves out.

Time to trim a little deadwood from my Wall Street Survivor portfolio for the following reasons:

Grupo Aeroportuario (ASR)
  • 80% Barchart technical sell signal
  • Trading below it's 20, 50 & 100 day moving average
  • 16.98% off it's previous high

Acxiom Corporation (ACXM)

  • 80% Barchart technical sell signal
  • Trading below it's 20, 50 & 100 day moving average
  • 20.61% off it's previous high

Franklin Electric (FELE)

  • 64% Barchart technical sell signal
  • Trading below it's 20, 50 & 100 day moving average
  • 24.88% off it's previous high

American National Insurance (ANAT)

  • 80% Barchart technical sell signal
  • Trading below it's 20, 50 & 100 day moving average
  • 18.03% off it's previous high

Jim Van Meerten is an investor who writes about investing on Seeking Alpha, Top Stocks and Barchart. Please leave a comment below or email JimVanMeerten@gmail.com

Disclosure: I have no positions in the stocks mentioned at the time of publication

What I'm reading:

Friday's Controlled Descent in Equities: A Perfect Storm Is Brewing by Bo Peng on Seeking Alpha

Green Jobs Proposal by Robert Reich on Huffington Post

What Billionaires Do On Their Summer Vacations by Katie Evans on Forbes

These Stocks Have Dangerous Exposure by Tim Hanson on Motley Fool

BP Spending Picks Up on Spill as Capture Rate Rises by Brian Swint on Bloomberg/Business week

No comments:

Post a Comment